Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Plan

My idea for the location photography is to go to Preston market and see if I can find a cheap old camera and shoot all the project images on that. That way it adds to the whole project by including myself into the whole atmosphere of the area. The reason I am doing this is because I really like the atmosphere of the whole car boot sale similarities, the bartering and the deal making etc, it's old fashioned and I like that. The equipment I plan on using is a camera bought at the car boot/market place and using that to produce the images. The film i may be using is expired film to create these under saturated images and just trying to use dysfunctional equipment like damaged lenses etc.

History

The outdoor market or "Covered Market" has been around since the early to mid 1800's as a trading place for people. "It was in 1837 that Preston Corporation first turned its thoughts to the provision of a covered market and "appointed a committee to procure plans, estimates, etc." Certainly Council minutes and local press comment show Preston was experiencing some problems with its market provision (In 1841-2 the fish market was moved to a covered area adjacent to the corn exchange and ‘moveable stalls’ were restricted on Preston’s streets)."  -  Wikipedia.

Equipment

The equipment I will be using will most likely be a Sony a6000 with the kit 16-50mm lens. I will be using this because it is a similar size to one of the Leica Range finders and is small and inconspicuous allowing me to capture the more candid photo's I am looking for. 


as you can see the camera is very small. I won't be using a flash as this will be very obvious while shooting street. I will have to compromise by using higher iso's and wider apertures. 

I am either going to use this camera or use one I can buy at the Market. This will more involve myself into the market place.

****EDIT****

After initially shooting in Preston Market I have decided to change my subject to more of urban decay location, I decided this because in street photography there are too many external variables to incorporate into the final image, this led to many problems while shooting.
lighting was the main issue with shooting under the market because it is already under cover and the weather in winter is generally dull it made having correct exposure difficult while keeping a fast shutter speed. Trying to fix this lead to other issues like noisy images, blurry images and just underexposed images. I would like to do this project another time but maybe during another time of the year. 
The subjects where another issue because no one is really aware that you're photographing them they tend to walk away really quickly so there's no double takes. 
Overall i chose to change my subject to urban decay because I would be in a much more controlled environment, where I could change my composition and lighting very easily. What i will be doing is more still life/observational photography.


Planning my urbex shoot

MARCHAND MEFFRE (link to the website)



Marchand Meffre is the title of the website for the photographers Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre who are urban explorers who visit ruins of buildings and photograph them. I really enjoy looking at their work because of the area's they go to these area's you would never be able to see normally. The level of detail in the images looks and works really well with the area's. They tend to use natural lighting even if they're in dark area's. I think they do this to complement the natural feel to these environments where the urban buildings have started to decay and natural life is coming in (moss, weeds etc)

For my first urban decay location I am choosing Preston Mill in Penwortham. I am choosing this location as it is relatively easy to get to and there's a lot of graffiti inside which can lead to interesting images. 
   There are certain subjects I need to think about before I go, like clothing, what I need to take with me, how I'm going to get there etc. 

Equipment
What I am taking with me is my Sony a6000 with two transceivers and a speedlight. I am taking these because it will be good for off camera flash shots and really highlighting certain subjects and works very well for creating dramatic and dynamic spot lighting. I am also taking a spare battery for my camera and two sets of spare batteries, one set for the speedlight and the other set for the transceivers. I am taking the 16-55mm lens on the sony because of how wide it is and will work well to get the full room shots. 

Clothing
what I am going to wear is an old jacket that I don't mind ruining or ripping, some old jeans and some trainers that I don't mind ruining either. I decided to wear trainers and not boots because I will probably have to climb over some obstacles. I'm taking a relatively small and light bag so I'm not to encumbered while moving around. 

Weather
On the day I am going to check weather reports and how long the day is to get an idea of what times would be best to shoot at and what time I need to be leaving before it gets dark. Hopefully the best scenario would be a slightly overcast day, no wind and not too cold. If it rains then the day will have to be postponed due to hazardous environment while wet.

Image Plans
The type of images I want are very high contrast and dramatic lighting. I will be doing a lot more experimenting on location with where the light placement is, shooting with natural lighting, shooting with flash or long exposures and maybe even multiple exposures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment